First aid in mental health
Did you know that one in four people in Luxembourg suffers from a mental illness every year?
Participate in the mental health first aid course:
the 12th and 13th of October 2023 from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm
at the Centre polyvalent ''A Schommesch'' in Oberanven
(1 hour lunch break = lunch provided by the commune of Niederanven on both days).
Instructor: Sacha BACHIM, psychologist (CNAPA)
Language of the course: Luxembourgish
The course is limited to 20 people. Priority will be given to residents of the commune of Niederanven.
Registration until the 2nd of October 2023 with
Phone: 34 11 34 - 35
Suitable for adults in their daily professional and private lives to support other adults.
Mental health first aid is the equivalent of physical first aid.
12 hours spread over 2 days (2 days - 6 hours per day)
Participants will learn how to:
- recognise the early signs of mental health problems in adults
- deal with a concerned person without judgement
- provide first aid to a person experiencing mental problems or going through a mental crisis
- refer the person to appropriate care and other forms of support
The Mental Health First Aid course provides a basic understanding of mental disorders and crises in adults. Participants learn to recognise the early signs of mental difficulties, to deal with them without judgement and to encourage those concerned to seek professional help.
Mental disorders treated:
- anxiety disorders
- substance use disorders
Crisis situations addressed:
- suicidal thoughts or behaviour
- panic attacks
- traumatic event
- severe psychosis
- serious effects of alcohol and other substances
- aggressive behaviour
The course combines theoretical input, reflective activities, instructional videos, practical exercises, case studies and role-playing.
- basic knowledge of the frequency and impact of mental disorders
- recognise the signs and symptoms of the most common and disabling mental disorders in adulthood
- gain an overview of the various treatments available
- apply ROGER, the 5 stages of first aid in mental health
- apply first aid measures in the event of a mental health crisis
The course is limited to 20 participants. If someone is unable to take part in the 1st module, they will no longer be authorised to take part in the other modules of the course. This person will have to register for another course.