The main topic of today's municipal council meeting was the situation in Ukraine and how we as a Commune can help the Ukrainian people. A resolution was drafted for this purpose, which you can now read on our website.
Résolution du Conseil communal de la Commune de Niederanven pour soutenir l'Ukraine victime dune agression militaire de la Russie
Approbation d’un subside aux victimes de la crise en Ukraine
Arrivals in Luxembourg - Ukraine
In the context of the arrival in Luxembourg of people fleeing the war in Ukraine, specific procedures have been set up to welcome and assist them, including those people that have already arrived in Luxembourg.
Registration of displaced persons and temporary protection
All displaced persons arriving in Luxembourg from Ukraine are kindly requested to make their presence known and to communicate their contact details to the Directorate of Immigration of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs by submitting the following form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Formulaire-EN Formulaire-FR Formulaire-UK Formulaire-RU
This information helps the Luxembourgish authorities to contact them with a view to apply for temporary protection.
Temporary protection status is a specific protection status applied at EU level for people who have fled the war in Ukraine. It is available to anyone who was a resident of Ukraine before 24 February 2022 and who arrived in Luxembourg on or shortly before 24 February 2022. It applies to Ukrainian nationals and their family members, but also to nationals of third countries other than Ukraine who have resided in Ukraine, and who are unable to return to their country or region of origin in safe and durable conditions.
More detailed information on the procedure to follow in order to introduce an application for temporary protection status, as well as on the rights conferred by temporary protection status, can be found on the following website:
While waiting to be contacted by the Luxembourg authorities with a view to submitting an application for temporary protection, people fleeing the war in Ukraine do not need to take any particular steps to stay in Luxembourg.
Accommodation and offers for private housing
The government has set-up a center for an initial reception in order to host persons fleeing the war in Ukraine. This emergency reception center, accessible 24/7, is situated at the SHUK (Structure d’hébergement d’urgence au Kirchberg), 11, rue Carlo Hemmer in Luxembourg-City. The center will provide shelter during the first couple of days, as well as food and items of primary necessity, for people wishing to request temporary protection in Luxembourg, but also for those intending to continue onwards to another European country.
Pets are allowed at the initial reception center, where a special area has been set up for them. The Administration of Veterinary Services will ensure the regularization of the animals at the emergency accommodation structure. The practical arrangements to this end are in the process of being put in place.
Every Luxembourg resident who have offered or are offering to host Ukraine nationals at their home are requested to contact the Hotline managed by Caritas and the Red Cross, with the support of the Ministry of Family Affairs, Integration and the Greater Region at +352 621 796 780 or via email: Ukraine@zesummeliewen.lu.
Persons wishing to make a material donation may consult the following website for further details: https://ona.gouvernement.lu/en/service/aide-pour-dpi.html
Employers wishing to hire beneficiaries of temporary protection can contact the ADEM, Employers Department, directly: +352 247 88000 ; email : email@example.com
Consular questions pertaining to people fleeing the war in Ukraine with Luxembourg as a destination should be addressed to the Consular assistance of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs: firstname.lastname@example.org or +352 2478 2386.
Important information for initiatives in the area of private transport
Any private transport initiative to the Ukrainian border is the sole responsibility of the organisers.
The Ministry advises any private person, who plans to launch such an initiative that the reception and accommodation of the displaced people in question, who are often traumatized by the events they experienced, must be guaranteed. The Ministry strongly recommends to all persons planning such trips to contact the Ministry at email@example.com before any potential departure.
For now, and while all the competent authorities are working at full speed to welcome people fleeing the war in Ukraine in the best possible conditions, and to process their applications for temporary protection status, we ask Luxembourg citizens and residents not to organise large scale transports unless private arrangements for short and medium term accommodation have been made by the organisers for the displaced persons concerned.
The Ministry draws attention to the number of unaccompanied children and without official documents on board of transports, for which the organisers are fully responsible. The organisers of private transport initiatives are advised to make sure that minors are not being trafficked.
In the light of the humanitary crisis in Ukraine, the municipal council has unanimously decided a subside of 10.000.- €, split between Caritas Luxembourg and the luxembourgish Red Cross. To help the affected, we plead to the citizens of the commune of Niederanven to join us with a donation towards the different NGOs.
Here's a list of the NGO's:
- Unicef Lëtzebuerg is collecting donations for aid, especially for affected children in Ukraine.
- Caritas Lëtzebuerg has already provided start-up aid of 50,000 euros. To help as many people as possible, more support is needed.
- Care is very concerned about the welfare of women and children in the region. Among other things the low temperatures in Ukraine, make it currently very difficult to escape from the country.
- The Croix-Rouge Lëtzebuerg has called for donations to help Ukrainians.
- In addition, the Croix-Rouge, in collaboration with the Philharmonic and the Philharmonic Orchestra, organized a benefit concert for the Ukrainian people on March 18.
- Médecins sans Frontières is on site. Donations are also needed here.
- SOS Villages d'Enfants Monde calls for solidarity.
- ASBL LUkraine collects donations for the Ukrainian population, including for medical care.
- The Aide sociale à l'enfance luxembourgeoise supports direct aid to refugees from Ukraine and calls for donations.
- Pharmaciens Sans Frontières also collects donations to help the Ukrainian population.
- The Ordre de Malte Luxembourg calls on people to donate money to the Ukrainian people.
- Médecins du Monde is appealing for donations.
- The non-profit organization Passerell Humanisons offers assistance in the field of asylum law.
- Handicap International has also launched an appeal for donations.
- Lions Club Mameranus stands in solidarity with Ukraine by collecting donations.