The Climate Pact
CLIMATE PACT, WHAT IS IT?
The Climate Pact is a contract that Niederanven, as 93 other municipalities, concluded with the National Government. Its legal basis is the "Law of 13 September 2012 for establishing a climate pact with the municipalities." The contract, signed on 23 November, 2012 by the municipality of Niederanven, was concluded for the period of 1 January 2013 to 31 December 2020. In the frame of this convention, the Government guarantees financial support and technical assistance to the member municipalities.
Targets of the Climate Pact:
- To educate the citizens;
- To strengthen the pioneer role in a common energy policy and climate protection;
- To reduce greenhouse gas emissions and energy costs;
- To stimulate local and regional investments;
By signing the Climate Pact, the City has committed to structure its energy and climate policies through the implementation of the European quality and certification management system “European Energy Award "(EEA). It was also agreed to set up an energy accounting system (energy consumption, water consumption, CO2 emissions) of the municipal infrastructures and facilities. The Government's commitment consists in offering a specialized climate adviser, trained to accompanying the municipality in achieving its missions and providing technical and administrative support. The Counsellor responsible for Niederanven in climate issues is Mister Jeannot Schroeder from CSD S.A.
The local climate team (Klimateam)
Following a call for applications for citizens and representatives of local businesses, launched by the Municipality, the climate team is represented as follows:
- 1 Member of the town council: Fréd Ternes
- 9 interested citizens: Pitt Beicht, Ute Blohm-Hieber, Luc Brucher, Guy Clausse, Carlo Duprel, Pol Polfer, Marc Schlammes, Carole Stoos, Claude Wilwerding
- 1 representative of the local trade community: Christian Kaempff
- 1 municipal official: Patrick Schumacher
- The advisor Jeannot Schroeder leading the team.
The list of actions:
The Climate Pact process is based on 79 measures, merged in the following areas:
- Development and Construction
- Public buildings and facilities
- Supply and pollution
- Internal Organization of the Municipal Administration
- Communication and cooperation
This list of actions allows to assess the communal situation and quantify the progress, by using a points awarding system, according to the measurements taken by the Municipality.
The process "European Energy Award ®" (EEA):
The Climate pact process is structured as follows:
- The climate team achieves a situational analysis based on the list of actions
- The team prepares a work program presented to the Municipal Council
- After the vote of the Municipal Council, implementation of measures
- An annual monitoring of taken actions is provided by the climate team and documented in a special annual report
- The audit and certification process.
The assessment of the Climate Pact certification of Niederanven is defined in relation to its list of actions and with considering other specific situations. It includes both an internal and an external evaluation. When a Municipality reaches a certain percentage of attainable points, it may request a certification. Up from that moment it is entitled to the variable part of the Climate Pact grant. The first certification becomes possible when a 40% threshold is reached.
The situation of Niederanven in relation with the Climate Pact:
- Contract signature: November 23, 2012
- First meeting (climate adviser, Aldermen, Technical Department): July 2013
- Number of the inventory preparation meetings: 10
- Call for applications for the climate team: 08/2013 “Gemengebuet”
- First meeting of the climate team: 26 November 2013
- Preparation of the inventory, in collaboration with the climate team: 2013 - 2015 (10 meetings)
- At the close of the 2014 annual report: 37% of the maximum number of points are reached
- Audit 2015: Second certification 58 %
Current situation of Niederanven:
The inventory, prepared with the support of the Technical Department and the Climate Team, confirmed that the Municipality of Niederanven already had a real well working energy policy and climate protection program, even before engaging in the Climate Pact. Thanks to these achievements Niederanven could quickly advance in the Climate Pact process.
Among the actions carried out before 2013, it is worth mentioning:
- The Membership in 2006 in the Climate Alliance and all the recent activities carried out in in this context;
- The inter-municipal cooperation in the SIAS and AirRegioun Convention;
- The analysis of the Municipality’s potential;
- The construction of public buildings (nursery, cultural center);
- The construction of low energy consumption social housing (8 homes);
- The municipal grants to residents for the installation of solar thermal systems;
- Various events (conferences, projects and exhibitions) regarding climate and energy protection;
- The municipal subsidies for the purchase of composters, of rainwater recovery systems and solar thermal and photovoltaic installations.
2016 and 2017 work program
For the years 2016 and 2017, the climate team worked out an ambitious activities program, namely:
- Niederanven Certification category 2> 50%
- New Energy concept for the commune
- Ecology and Energy charter for the local associations
- Use of the Enercoach software for the Energy inventory of the communal infrastructures
- Tree plantations by school children and the forest ranger
- Visit of the beehive shelter
- Setting up of a Myenergy Infopoint in the 4 SIAS municipalities
- «Tour of the Duerf»
- Communicating climate themes using the "green corner" section in the communal newsletter and website
- Municipal subsidy for the purchase of a new e-bike
- Setting up of the intercommunal Klimateam SIAS
- New concept of Waste Management (treatment and taxes)
- Enhanced communication using social media
- Subsidies to be adapted according to the new legislation and the LENOZ criteria
- Improved soft mobility with new pedestrian lanes (Rëtsch) and cycling paths (connection between Niederanven and Munsbach)
Renovation of the local school building “Am Sand”